Yes! Our Health Clinic offers low-cost spay/neuter surgeries and vaccinations for our community. View prices and services here. However, we are not a full-service veterinary office and do not offer diagnostics, emergency services, or euthanasia. We suggest that all pet owners find a primary care veterinarian that their animals can visit regularly.

Do you provide veterinary services?

Because of our partnership with Isabella County Animal Control, we do not classify our shelter as no-kill. However, euthanasia is only considered in situations where there are serious medical or aggression issues that we cannot resolve. Whenever possible, we treat injury or illness and work on behavioral issues so animals can be adopted. We do not place time limits on our animals or euthanize healthy, adoptable animals for space. 

Are you a no-kill facility?

HATS does not have the resources, nor are we licensed to care for wild animals. For guidance, you may contact the Michigan Department of Natural Resources at (517) 284-9453.

For issues with wildlife taking residence in your home or on your property, we recommend calling a local wildlife management service. 

Do you help with wildlife?

No. Cats scratch on things for two reasons: to shed their claws and to mark their territory. Declawing is a painful procedure that involves the amputation of the last bone of each toe. Educated pet parents can easily train their cats to use their claws in a manner that allows everyone in the household to live together happily. Looking for tips? Check out this great article to learn more about healthy alternatives.

Do you declaw cats?

If you cannot continue the responsibility that comes with pet ownership and have been unsuccessful in your efforts of finding your animal a loving home, please call us for additional advice.


Looking for rehoming resources?Visit rehome.adoptapet.com.

Read more about our surrender policy here. All surrenders must be scheduled in advance and certain qualifications must be met. Please call us at (989) 775-0830 to discuss the situation.

How do I surrender my pet to your organization?

Cat overpopulation is a serious issue in our community and throughout the country. While your initial reaction may be to take all outdoor cats to the nearest shelter as soon as possible, that is not always in the best interest of the cats or the best solution for the issue.

If you are looking for ways to help stray or community cats, please call our Feline Department or click here to read about the benefits of Trap-Neuter-Return.

I have too many stray cats; what should I do?

If you are having difficulty keeping your beloved pets' food dish full, please visit the Community Compassion Network (local food pantry) for assistance. HATS works with CCN to provide pet food for community members in an effort to keep animals in their homes. Visit ccnfeeds.org for pantry hours and location. Food is not available for pick-up at the HATS location. 

Where can I receive assistance to feed my pets?

HATS uses a managed intake system and we recommend that you call in advance to ensure all requirements are met before bringing any animals to our facility. Read more about our stray pet policy here.


If you find a stray dog after business hours, please keep them safe until we reopen or call Isabella County Central Dispatch at (989) 773-1000.

I found a stray animal; what should I do?

If you are witnessing animal cruelty, call 911 for immediate assistance. If you need to report suspected cruelty or neglect within Isabella County, call Animal Control at (989) 773-9721. 

Animal cruelty comes in many forms; such as physical abuse, failure to provide adequate shelter or care, abandonment, hoarding, puppy mills, animal fighting, or pets left in hot vehicles. We encourage you to always report any suspicious behavior.

How do I report animal cruelty or neglect?

Humane Animal Treatment Society

1105 S. Isabella Rd. 

Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858

(989) 775-0830